Yonsei vs Ewha vs Sogang

09:41:00 Unknown 0 Comments

Which school should I go to in Korea for Language study? This question has been in my mind, or perhaps many others who are thinking of studying Korean language in Korea.

After much research, it boils down to the final top 3 that got everyone asking which is better? Yonsei, Ewha or Sogang? Personally I have never been to any of these language school nor has any friend who's been there, so I can't really comment. But what I can do is consolidate whatever I have found online and do a comparison.



The best website I came across is The Sawon, which listed down the reviews of majority of the language school in Korea. The links are linked to Asia Options, which posts were updated as of 2015.



Cost
Application: 60,000
Tuition: 1,650,000
Application: 80,000
Tuition: 1,730,000
Application: 60,000
Tuition: 1,620,000
Textbook
Ewha textbook
53,000 ~ 60,000
Yonsei textbook
~ 86,000
Sogang textbook
18,000 ~ 64,800
Dormitory
Single room: 1,400,000
Double room: 1,200,000
SK Global Single: 1,957,000
SK Global Double: 1,464,000
Int’l House Double: 1,149,000
Not available for language program student if I’m not wrong
Reputation
 A little of both grammar and speaking.
Focus on grammar than speaking.
Focus on speaking than grammar.

Semester period (2016 Fall)
8th September 
- 22nd November
1st September
  - 15th November
6th September 
- 18th November

Disclaimer: whatever I researched as of February'16

In my opinion, even though Yonsei has a good reputation (according to what I researched) but it is not recommended for those on tight budget. As compared to the other 2, Yonsei semester tend to start earlier.

For those who has difficulty starting earlier or are on a tight budget, Ehwa and Sogang would be the next best choices.

What's my choice? I chose Ehwa as I am unable to start anytime earlier due to my friend's wedding and that being a foreigner and sole sponsore of my study, I would prefer a cheap roof over my head.

[ Edit]

For those with a tighter budget, you may look at schools located in Chuncheon, Gangwon-do. It is about 1-2 hours away from Seoul. Living expenses and school fees are cheaper. On top of that, Chuncheon is located nearer to places of interests like Nami Island and other city areas, where you can experience local culture. Unlike Seoul, where there are plenty of foreigners, Gangwon Province has lesser foreigners, which makes it an ideal choice to further improve your Korean ability!
One of the school that has Korean Language Program is Kangwon National University. Of course, schools in Gangwon Province will not be as famous as those in Seoul. If you're looking for fun, then go for the schools in Seoul.

For those with even tighter budget, go for schools in Busan if you do not mind the accent and slang. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: